Tuesday, December 9, 2014

#TakeMeBackTuesday

Happy Tuesday!

So, while reflecting on the earliest origins of my own musical inspiration, I was fortunate enough to remember one of the first music videos I could ever recall watching as a child.  It was primarily due to my father watching music video shows on BET, as well as Soul Train and the like, recording them on VHS at every available opportunity.  Prolific session keyboardist Greg Phillinganes was an artist that I had a hard time placing until I remember asking my father about him, and he could not recall his name either until one day in the mid-90s, when we were watching my recorded copy of one of Sinbad's Annual Summer Jam: 70's Soul Music Festival concerts that the comedian hosted and organized.  Greg was behind the keyboards supporting different acts, and eventually was given special recognition by Sinbad himself in between acts.  My father immediately recognized him, and I was off to the races in trying to locate a copy of Greg's album, or at least this song.  Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, and I get the curiosity to find out if this video that I have not seen in over twenty years has made it to YouTube.  It sure enough has! Although not in the best of quality, it is as I remember it.  

Greg, like many other session musicians that make a living supporting other artists in the studio or on the road decided to try to rack up a few hits himself, as bandleader.  This is not uncommon.  For examples, one can just look at the likes of Toto, Mr. Mister, or jazz quartet FourPlay.  All are groups comprised of seasoned road and session players.  With "Behind The Mask" specifically, I remember being blown away at the size of the drum kit that the drummer in the video is behind, and thinking that I would love to do that!!!  I also wanted to know how they did that cool "robotic voice," too.  Later, of course I found out... 

If you could picture a 6-year old boy dancing and singing along with this song, that was me.  I used a slim MAG-LITE flashlight which resembled the microphone that Greg is using in the video to sing along.  The last memory I have of this song was its ending.  I absolutely loved the last four bars of the song.  I do not know if it is the ending rhythm, synth swells, Greg's little dance he does at the end, or a combination of the three.  But, needless to say that videotape of ours was worn out! I always loved doing the little dance at the end with Greg. I am fortunate that it was recorded, because I do not recall ever seeing that video aired again.  Back in the day, at least as far as I remember, music videos weren't aired as repetitively as they are now.

Now that "Black Friday" for this year has passed, I have been the owner of the reissue of Greg's second album "Pulse" for a couple of weeks, and the info jacket gives interesting insight into the source of the song and how it came to be in the hands of Greg.  It was originally written and recorded by a Japanese Electronic Trio known as the "Yellow Magic Orchestra."  Michael Jackson, on Greg's version of the song, is given credit for adding additional lyrics.  It was also originally presented as a possible contender by Quincy Jones for being on Michael Jackson's "Thriller."  When the song did not make the cut, it was given to Greg.  Greg asked Michael for the song during the selection process, and Michael agreed to give it to Greg if he did not use the song.  

Staying true to the original melodies of the YMO recording, the lyrics were embellished and the song, as a whole, was rendered into a catchy pop tune for Greg to perform.  Even though it did not quite make as big of a splash as other tunes in the mid-1980s, the song---as well as the album---was a critically-acclaimed effort.  Enjoy!                 

No comments:

Post a Comment