Sunday, December 14, 2014

#SoulfulSunday

Happy Sunday, Everyone!

For today's entry, I actually had something different planned, but after running into this interview while "cyber-window shopping,"  I decided to pause and listen to what legendary Earth, Wind & Fire keyboardist Larry Dunn had to say.  It is always fascinating and insightful to listen and learn from the ones that have "made it" in the industry, and just like the interview that I shared with Verdine White, he echoed some of the same sentiments in terms of learning ones craft and doing it with integrity.  He also reminded me of how blessed I was to be able to grow up during a time where music was taught and nurtured in public school.  Admittedly, I am about 22 years removed from the first day that I walked into my middle school orchestra class and assumed the first chair in double bass, but the thought of that experience no longer being available to the ones that have come behind me gets under my skin.

Music education is one of the most fertile areas of creation for a child.  The absence is especially noticeable now, as we are living in an era where modern technology--although beneficial---has stifled imagination and creativity.  Not only does music education allow for creativity, but also instills discipline and good work ethic.  After all, one is not going to be good at the instrument one plays without practice.

But, with all of that said, regardless of practice and discipline, one simply cannot achieve the desired musical ambitions alone.  It actually starts at home, with hopefully a loving and supportive family unit.  Without that support, the discouraging aspects of the musical journey can be overwhelming, and that has led a lot of gifted musicians down the wrong path.

Enjoy the interview and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment