Friday, December 12, 2014

#FunkyFriday

Happy Friday!

Even though yesterday I write about Bootsy Collins and Verdine White, it is difficult to articulate not only the number of musicians that have inspired but also the degree to which each one has had the impact on my musical journey.  For the most part, I find my motivation stemming from musicians that are not bass players, such as the great George Duke, or drummer Philip Gould (of Level 42 fame). But, if I were to highlight bass players, it would be Louis Johnson (Brothers Johnson, Quincy Jones), Larry Graham (Sly & The Family Stone, Graham Central Station), and Bernard Edwards (CHIC).  The three mentioned masters of the low frequencies would be what I would deem my "Big Three."

Louis Johnson, a bass player that caught the attention of super-producer Quincy Jones, quickly became a highly sought-after session bass player, playing on just about anything produced by "Q" in the 1980s.  Louis and his brother George formed the Brothers Johnson and became chart-toppers themselves.  Famous for his fierce live performances that highlighted his development of the slap-bass technique for electric bass in parallel with Larry Graham, curiosity began to grow about this novel approach to playing bass and he recorded two instructional videos for Star Licks/Hal-Leonard. The first video is still available on DVD.  He is also reason number one as to why playing the MusicMan StingRay bass is such a strong part of my own identity.  He was one of the first endorsees of the bass that was developed by bass guitar inventor Leo Fender, after Fender sold the company of his namesake and started the MusicMan company in the 1970s.

Larry Graham, someone I became hip to later in life, thanks to my former private teacher, is considered to be the first to record a song using the slap-bass technique. It first featured in the hit  "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)," by Sly & The Family Stone.   When he left the group to form his own Graham Central Station, "Hair" became his signature thumpin' monster. He also did sessions and collaborations with various artists, most notably Prince.  I also recall seeing his name on the inside jacket of comedian Eddie Murphy's single "I Was A King" on bass, as well. In his 70s, he is still traveling the world, dancing around on stage while singing and playing the bass, a true blessing.

Then, there is Bernard Edwards, I can not say enough about him.  CHIC is definitely the band that I would say that makes me wish I was born in the 1950s; that way I would be old enough to enjoy the funk/disco era as it was happening.  Fortunately, Nile Rodgers is keeping the band alive, as Bernard, along with original drumming powerhouse Tony Thompson are no longer with us.  Nile Rodgers, his main partner in crime, has a blog as well. I would encourage you to visit and be enlightened at http://www.nilerodgers.com/

Nile just recently announced that he is combing through old material that he along with the original lineup had recorded that is yet to be released, and I can't wait to hear what the world has yet to musically experience.  Bernard's rhythmic, percussive, and elastic playing style is another great example of what I reference in my own finger-style playing technique, whereas the other two mentioned inspired more of my slap-style---even though all three bass players play both styles equally well.  Perhaps only for the last album that marked the reunion of CHIC in 1996, he recorded heavily using either a Fender Precision Bass or a MusicMan StingRay, as well.  Reason number two, as to why I love the MusicMan StingRay Bass... Enjoy the links below and have a great Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment